23 January 2008

Our favorite hummus

Here's another Tried and True favorite from my recipe box.

We love hummus. Get some pita out and our family will clean the dish. And being the crazy recipe tryer-outer that I am, we've tasted many hummuses (hummi?). Store-bought from the refrigerated section, just-add-water mixes, blend-from-scratch recipes, you name it, we've probably tried it. Yet, we always compare it to the first recipe I was ever given. One of my beloved roommates from college, the amazing Heidi, presented me with my very own copy on a 3x5 card that proudly states, "from the kitchen of Heidi ____." Over the years I've figured out just how we like it and it is, beyond compare, King of the Hummus Mountain.

Heidi's Hummus (tweaked a little by Tricia)

In a blender, toss:
1 can garbanzo beans, drained (save the liquid)
1/3 c tahini
1/4 c lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic
pinch of cumin

Blend until it forms a smooth paste, adding garbanzo liquid, if needed, to reach hummus-y consistency. Adjust any seasonings, if needed.

Dump into a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika.

That's it. So easy and so delicious. Just writing about it makes me want to blend a batch and then fry up some falafel. Oooh, falafel. That's another Tried and True I'll have to share...

No comments: