25 January 2009

Bumper Sticker Awe


I love reading bumper stickers. They can affect me in different ways: laughter, frustration, confusion, a feeling of sympathy for how stupid the driver is. One thing they don't do though is change my point of view. In general I think bumper stickers say what you think, but do little in the way of changing others' ideas.

For instance, I saw the most in-your-face example the other day. While I agree with their view, it was a definite no-holds-barred approach. After I read it I thought, "Ouch! They're not pulling any punches." And I wonder if it will get through to someone or just offend those who don't already agree. Here it is:

"Getting an abortion doesn't make you unpregnant. It makes you the mother of a dead child."

How's that for in-your-face?

I don't really know how to end this post, so I'll do what I normally do: throw in something silly.

My favorite bumper sticker of all time:
"There are no lesbians. Only women who haven't met Chuck Norris."
Sure it's offensive, but gosh darn it, it's also just plain funny.

1 comment:

Kallie said...

I think you can learn a lot about a person just by the bumper sticker on their car... Kallie